One of the more sinister by products of water damage is mold. A natural element, mold occurs all the time in nature, breaking down dead organic material and generally serving as nature’s recycling center. Mold reproduces by means of spores, which float through the air until they attach themselves in a location where they can grow, preferably somewhere moist.
Mold and mold spores are not generally a problem until they sprout up inside your home. Suddenly the spores, which are so widespread outside, are concentrated in one small area, being inhaled in large quantities by people and animals. Since mold breaks down organic material, you can imagine the effects brought on by the inhalation of large numbers of them.
This is why molds are dangerous. Mold related health problems range from mild allergic symptoms to more severe issues such as neurological disorders, lung disease, and in rare cases, death.
Remember that mold can appear in as little as 48 hours following a water damage event (or less, if the flood water is largely sewage based), so time is of the essence.
When dealing with mold, always remember to wear a filtration mask or better yet, a respirator to prevent inhalation of mold spores. If the growth is substantial, i.e. larger than two or three feet in circumference, contact a mold remediation professional.
Mold is nothing to dismiss… it brings all manner of health hazards, and it destroys whatever it is growing on. I have seen an entire city block condemned and torn down all because of mold.
Check your local listings for a local, IICRC certified mold remediation professional today.